“Hey this is Jon from Black Bird Hum and our new tune Say You Want is a bit of a boy-meets-girl type love song, so we’ve put together a bunch of tunes all about love, relationships, getting it right and getting it horribly wrong to set the scene for the track. Most of the tunes are from the classic ‘Lovers Rock’ genre of reggae music but there’s a few genre-busters in there everyone will know! Enjoy!”
Top 5 love songs
1. I Wanna Wake Up With You – Boris Gardiner. I wouldn’t normally give this number 1 (see number 2) but we played a hippy festival out in the bush last year and our trombone player / hype man Scotty G got a few of us to learn this, got up on stage and played this to his girlfriend as a way of proposing to her. Our sax player, Nish, was the only one on stage not in on it and he was mid solo when the ring came out and nearly dropped his horn. Touching.
2. Soon Forward – Gregory Isaacs. This whole top 5 could have been Gregory Isaacs, he was the king of reggae love songs.
3. Smile Jamaica – Chronixx. This one is a bit different. Kind of like a love song for a whole country. I’m loving Chronixx at the moment, so he gets in with this one.
4. Love Letter – Katchafire. Solid island-style reggae. Is there another band with this many freakishly good vocalists?
5. Wandering Eye – Fat Freddy’s Drop. This was the first Freddy’s song i heard way back when and i was blown away. It’s a musical journey. It’s a bit like the Stairway to Heaven or Bohemian Rhapsody of reggae with all it’s parts. Musical, rhythmic genius and a sweet little love-song-dedication to boot.
Check out Black Bird Hum’s new single Say You Want which is out now…